Clutch is a mechanical device that engages and disengages the power transmission which is developed by the engine. single plate plate clutch is the most common type of clutch used in automobile vehicles. Basically it is a dry type friction clutch plate. It consists of a single clutch whose both sides are faced with a frictional material, and its mounted on the clutch shaft, and the flywheel is mounted on the engine crankshaft.
Search keywords :
Definition of single plate clutch, Single plate clutch design, What is the single plate cultch and where it’s used, Working of Automobile single plate clutch, Explanation about single plate clutch, Use of single plate clutch, single plate clutch image, single plate clutch diagram.
The pressure plate is bolted to the flywheel through the clutch springs which are arranged radially inside the body. Clutch springs pushes the clutch plate with the pressure of 2 to 3kg/cm² towards the flywheel. When the clutch is engaged, the clutch plate is gripped between the flywheel and the pressure plate. Due to the friction linings on both sides of the clutch plate, the clutch plate is revolves with the flywheel.
Clutch shaft is connected to the gearbox. Thus, the engine power is transmitted to the driving wheels.When the clutch pedal is pressed by the driver, the clutch is said to be in disengaged position. And the pressure plate is move back, because the spring force is acting against the pressure plate.
The clutch plate becomes free, remains the flywheel rotates as long the engine in running. ” Control of the torque of the engine is depends on contact area of the clutch”. If the contact area of the clutch with the flywheel is increases then the torque is also increases. Single plate clutches are mostly used in heavy vehicles like buses, trucks and etc…
Use of Single plate clutch:
- Simple in design & control of the dynamic balance of the vehicle.
- Reliable transfer of engine power to the gearbox in all service conditions.
- Smooth starting of the automobile from rest and complete engagement of the clutch.
- Convenience and ease of control, which are estimated by the effort to be applied to the pedal and pedal movement on disengaging the clutch.
- It should be able to dissipate the large amount of heat.
Advantages of single plate clutch:
- Less pedal travel.
- This enables easy gear changing.
- No binding of friction surfaces.
But the disadvantage is it requires more stiffer return spring .